Wiles Mensch Corporation – DC (WM) provided surveying, civil engineering, and landscape architecture services for the design-build modernization of this 109,000 SF DCPS facility. Originally built in 1939, this project served as the first major renovation for the school. WM was responsible for completing survey and civil services while the existing building was in use by the students.
WM was responsible for completing a boundary, topographic, and utility survey of the site, and providing surveys of the facility’s swing space, which required a trailer and walkway survey to inspect the newly installed trailers and walkways at the site to locate their boundaries and align with site design. Further surveying was required after the project’s onset for an adjacent DC DGS-owned parking garage. Civil design services provided by WM ranged from concept design to construction administration, including development of selective demolition documents. Scope of services included parking layout and design, stormwater management design, tree removal and replacement calculations, and traffic control plans.
The WM Landscape team was responsible for providing at-grade hardscape and softscape design including outdoor classrooms, site ADA accessibility, site furnishings, basic streetscape improvements, and athletic field restoration. WM also managed technical approvals from UFA, DDOT, HPO, and NCPC.
The project was designed to meet LEED Gold standards, new International Green Construction Code, and DOEE stormwater management requirements.
Photos courtesy of: STUDIOS Architecture